Re: Of PhDs, priests and logic

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Tue, 11 Jun 96 06:22:15 +0800

Group

On Sat, 08 Jun 1996 22:42:17, Glenn Morton wrote:

GM>Stephen Jones wrote:

SJ>Actually, Brian, from the increasingly hostile and ad hominem tone
>of your posts to me, on the Mt 18:7 principle, I think I will try to
>limit my direct dialogue with you. In future, if I do reply to your
>posts, it will (as with Denis) be directed to the Group, not to you
>personally. I am sorry it has had to come to this.

GM>Stephen, you pulled this little "I'm going to pout and go home"
>routine with me a few months ago.

Welcome back to Glenn! :-)

For newcomers, what I did (from memory) was to cease debating
directly with Glenn because of the increasingly nasty tone of his
messages to me.

GM>Grow up; be a man; and realize that if you want to say things
>that represent a minority position or speak to things outside of
>your field of expertise, you can expect others to challenge you.

Glenn and I obviously have different concepts on what makes a "man".
I think it is more manly to refrain from ad hominem comments than to
make them.

I have no problem with others challenging me. After all, if I did, I
wouldn't be here! :-) I don't even have a problem with ad hominem
comments from the likes of Glenn, Denis and Brian. These days they
are like water off a duck's back.. My real problem is as I said, "on
the Mt 18:7 principle":

"Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to sin!
Such things must come, but woe to the man through whom they
come!" (Mt 18:7)

That is, I am concerned that by direct dialogue with Glenn, Denis and
Brian, I might be causing them to sin. Another concern I have is
that I might sin against them by retaliating in kind. If I respond to
their messages in the third person, to the Group, this danger is
minimised, and yet we can discuss the *issues*.

GM>If you are not tough enough to fight like a man, then quit
>fighting and go home to your mother.

That's a bit difficult. My "mother" is dead. :-(

GM>Leave the tough intellectual playing field for the men. I
>presume that after all this time your silent treatment towards me
>is still on. If it wasn't, I bet it has been renewed.

Well, it wouldn't have been, if Glenn had learned in the interim, not
to make personal attacks against those who disagree with him. But it
seems he hasn't, so the "silent treatment" is still on.

GM>This may be harsh for my first post after resubscribing to the
>reflector but you need to hear this and quit acting like a child.

I am glad for Glenn's sake he realises that his post is "harsh".
Perhaps he will return to calm, reasoned arguments? Until he does,
as with Denis and Brian, I will not debate directly with him, but
will address any comments I have on his posts to the Group.

God bless.

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |