Re: Isotope question

Steven Fawl (fawl@nvc.cc.ca.us)
Mon, 3 Jun 96 13:59:54 -0700

At 05:51 PM 6/2/96, you wrote:

>I hate to disappoint you but John [Morris]
>used [the 1801 eruption] example during the seminar. He also uses it in
his >1994 book The Young Earth,
[snip...]
>He cites two articles to back up his claim. Funkhouser and Naughton
>"Radiogenic Helium and Argon in Ultramafic Inclusions from Hawaii, Journal
>of Geophysical Research 73:14 July 1968 pp 4601-4607
>
>and C. S. Nobel, and J. J. Naughton, "Deep-Ocean Basalts: Inert Gas
>Content and Uncertainties in Age Dating, Science 162:11 Oct 1968 pp
>265-266
>
>The second of these articles is the one you refer to as proving that deep
>oceanic basalts do not release all of their argon. If your meeting with
>John Morris was prior to 1994 then you had no effect.

Well I guess that raising your hand and swearing that you will never use
this example again does not mean much to John. I always thought that your
yes meant yes and that your no meant no, but it seems that John had another
meaning when he said he would not use this example again.

I will say it for the record. I believe that some YEC's knowingly lie about
the data and purposely misuse it to their advantage. John Morris lied to my
face. I need no other example of the abuse of science by a YEC.

Steve