Re: Death to theistic evolution?

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 17 May 1996 09:32:01 -0400

Paul Durham wrote:
>Back to Loren on this interesting subject...
>
>>Here is a quick summary of how many TEs understand this point:
>>--Sin makes us spiritually dead in this life.
>>--Sin robs us of the hope of resurrection in the new creation.
>> (Physical death is our enemy BECAUSE of sin.
>> "The sting of death is sin.")
>
>>Christ conquers both.
>
>Do they also agree that Christians are spiritually alive in this life,
>and that the remaining obstacle to be reckoned with is how the Gospel
>deals with physical death? My impression is that TEs see the Gospel as
>emphasizing salvation from spiritual death while agreeing to disagree
>with the traditional orthodox view that physical death is also the
>result of sin and Adam's fall and the resultant curse by God on
>creation.

Although I'm not totally comfortable with the label TE (because IMO it
seems to make my theism a modifier to my acceptance of evolution, which is
not true) I will respond to this. Yes, I agree that Christians are
spiritually alive in this life. I'm not sure what you mean by "how the
Gospel deals with physical death." Could you elaborate? While I see
spiritual death as the immediate consequence of sin, I agree that physical
death is a consequence of sin. In Adam's case, it was his own sin. By
virtue of being separated from God and cut off from the tree of life (Gen
3:22, 23), eventually, the processes of decay operating outside the garden
caught up with him and he died physically. In our case today, I presume
it's both our own sins and the consequences of the sins of all men through
history that leads after 70+/- years to physical death.

I may be somewhat unresponsive for the remainder of this morning, and will
definitely be totally unresponsive this afternoon, as I will be out of
town. I will either subscribe from home over the weekend or check the
archives. But if I fail to respond to something you really want to hear my
reaction to, please be patient and willing to remind me.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)