Re: God is a Physicist

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Mon, 13 May 1996 11:20:07 -0400 (EDT)

Brian Harper wrote:

> Loren:
> >[perhaps] The new fundamental theory will predict, as a natural (non ad-hoc)
> >consequence, that there are a vast number of causally disconnected
> >universes, each with their own set of physical constants.
>
> I have to agree that this, if it could be shown, would be pretty
> devasting to the design argument, but not necessarily to theism
> of course.
>
> Perhaps it is just my prejudice as an experimentalist but I have
> a really tough time taking this possibility seriously. First of
> all, is it conceivable that a general theory would actually be
> able to predict something like this? After all, the other universes
> must be causally disconnected. Also, what we currently know and
> suspect from chaos theory would seem to cast doubt on the possibility.
> And finally, could we really be confident in a prediction that
> cannot be tested even in principle?

Some versions of "Inflation Theory" are headed in this direction.
Inflation Theory is an addition to Big Bang cosmology for the purpose of
explaining why the universe is so "smooth," that is, why the (large-scale)
distribution of matter in the universe is so uniform. Some versions do
suggest the possibility, maybe, (is that enough qualifiers? :-) of many
causally disconnected "universes" with different ratios of the
"fundamental constants."

Inflation theory is still quite speculative, but I think it is at least
conceivable that we might one day have a new fundamental theory which
predicts, as a natural (non ad-hoc) consequence, that there are a vast
number of causally disconnected universes, each with their own set of
physical constants. Any "unobservable" predictions this theory might make
would be, of course, unverifiable; but if it was more elegant than the old
theory, with fewer free parameters, it would be very attractive to many
people.

But consider, we are ALREADY in an analogous situation to this "many
universes" situation. Consider the vast amount of "empty space" in the
universe. Consider the vast number of stars in the universe and (we
presume) the relatively tiny fraction of those which could have planets
capable of supporting life. Given what this tells us about our Creator, I
wouldn't be too surprised to learn of a "many universes" cosmology.

Loren Haarsma