Re: Can you be objective about evolution?

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Thu, 09 May 1996 14:20:08 -0400 (EDT)

Jim Bell wrote:

> Steve has unsubscribed for awhile, but I'd like to follow up on this.
> Why don't the evolutionists here post arguments against evolution? This
> is intriguing...

Actually, the reason "evolutionists here don't post arguments against
evolution" is far more boring than you might think.

Art Chadwick asked this same question a month ago, and I responded:

I've been "reconsidering my philosophical bases" in earnest since
joining this discussion group. I've posted a few lists of "perceived
[philosphical and theological] weaknesses" of both evolutionary
creationism and progressive creationism (check the January '96
archives). I pretty much agree with Mike Behe on what are the
scientifically weakest points of macroevolutionary theory (development
of irreducible complexity, etc.).
I've even suggested a few scientifically
testable predictions (using present-day equipment and techniques)
which would cause me to switch my prference from EC to PC (check the
November '95 archives).

That's hard work --- not so much to personally consider these issues,
but to elucidate them in a public forum! I don't take silence from
discussion group members as lack of understanding or willingness to
examine weaknesses; I take silence as general agreement for what's
already been said recently.

------

The "weakest points" of macroevolutionary theory (origin of novelty,
origin of complexity, speed of appearance of new forms during times such
as the pre-Cambrian explosion) are well known and generally agreed upon,
and they've been repeatedly mentioned in this group by both sides.

This brings up another point which I was sorely tempted to nail Steve on
at the time. IMO, it seems rather disingenuous to go around:

1) Quoting certain statements from evolutionists as evidence
AGAINST evolution,

and then turn around and

2) Complain that evolutionist's can't or won't think of any arguments
against evolution.

It seems like you can have one or the other, but not both.

"Your denial of my victimhood |
is lowering my self-esteem!" | Loren Haarsma
--Calvin (_Calvin_and_Hobbes_) | lhaarsma@opal.tufts.edu