Re: What should schools teach (e.g. _Pandas_) ?

Terry M. Gray (grayt@Calvin.EDU)
Tue, 7 May 1996 23:17:39 -0400

Loren wrote:

>2. Arguments based upon analogy between biological organisms and man-made
>(designed) objects are PHILOSOPHICAL, and should not be included in the
>science curriculum. (It is possible for science classes to occasionally
>tackle philosophical arguments, but they need to be clearly labeled as
>such and several competing points of view should be included.) In the
>same way, arguments for un-directed evolution based upon examples of "bad
>design" (e.g. the blind spot) are also philosophical, and should not be
>included in the science curriculum.
>
>3. Finally, arguments about the presumed philosophical bias of scientists
>are themselves philosophical. They should not be part of the science
>curriculum. (Though they could be part of a "philosophical" unit with
>several viewpoints included.)

Loren,

I'd say that to suggest that philosophy doesn't belong in the science
classroom is already a philosophical position that will only perpetuate the
simplistic Baconianism that is presently taught in most elementary and
secondary school science texts.

I'm not at all convinced that philosophy (of science, especially) doesn't
belong in the science classroom. While I'm not necessarily sympathetic
with using DOT or Pandas in the classroom, I'm not at all ready to dismiss
them because they are too philosophical. Discussing underlying
philosophical systems may be more important in educating our general public
than teaching them the "facts" of science. The "facts" are important for
people going into advanced study in the sciences, but are just trivia for
most people. Interestingly, when I teach my non-majors chemistry course at
Calvin (admittedly not a public school), I spend over one-fourth of my time
on philosophy and theology of science.

I vote "no" on your first draft.

TG

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D. Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Calvin College 3201 Burton SE Grand Rapids, MI 40546
Office: (616) 957-7187 FAX: (616) 957-6501
Email: grayt@calvin.edu http://www.calvin.edu/~grayt

*This mission critical message was written on a Macintosh with Eudora Pro*