Re: Science and supernatural explanations #2/2

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Thu, 02 May 96 19:46:55 EDT

Group

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:44:46 -0400 Brian wrote:

BH>...Steve J wrote...quoting Hugh Ross:

SJ>In 1988 George Greenstein expressed these
>thoughts: "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently
>arises that some supernatural agency-or, rather, Agency-must be
>involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have
>stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being?
>Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for
>our benefit?" ("Symbiotic Universe, p27)"

BH>and in the next paragraph Greenstein writes:
>
> A heady prospect. Unfortunately I believe it to be illusory.
> As I claim mankind is not the center of the universe, as
> I claim anthropism to be different from anthropocentrism,
> so too I believe that the discoveries of science are not
> capable of proving God's existence-not now, not ever.
> And more than that: I also believe that reference to God
> will never suffice to explain a single one of these
> discoveries. God is not an explanation.

BH>(Ross H., "Astronomical
>Evidences for a Personal, Transcendent God", in Moreland J.P. ed.,
>"The Creation Hypothesis", InterVarsity Press: Illinois, 1994, p164)

Brian (perhaps inadvertently), by inserting "the next paragraph"
between my quote of Greenstein by Ross and the citation of Ross'
chapter in Moreland's "The Creation Hypothesis", may give the
impression that "the next paragraph" appears in Ross and that I have
deliberately omitted it. It doesn't -the quote of Greenstein that
Ross gives ends exactly where I ended it.

The fact that Greenstein acknowledges that "the evidence" points to
"scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being", but claims it
is "illusory", is testimony to the darkening effect of naturalism (Rom
1:21).

Theism would simply say that "the evidence" does indeed provide
"scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being" and that
naturalism is false in its metaphysical assertion masquerading as
science that:

"the discoveries of science are not capable of proving God's
existence-not now, not ever" and "I also believe that reference to God
will never suffice to explain a single one of these discoveries. God
is not an explanation."

God bless.

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |