RE: "Primary literature"

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Wed, 01 May 96 23:03:35 EDT

Terry

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:19:46 -0400 you wrote:

TG>I think that we're getting a bit rancorous here in this thread.
>Perhaps I can contribute to some reconcilation.

Thanks. I would appreciate your good offices as Moderator! :-)

[...]

TG>...When I read Phil Johnson, I did not learn anything new about
>evolution nor did I hear any new arguments explaining why it couldn't
>be true. He points out interesting problems that are being addressed
>by the research community, but in my opinion, he doesn't come close to
>undermining the biological theory. I've said before that I find in
>DOT an amazing summary of all the evidence FOR evolution. When I
>remove the anti-evolutionary bias and what I consider to be the
>UNSURMOUNTABLE skepticism (i.e. nothing the evolutionist could say
>would convince him), he has no case.

[...]

I am reminded of Johnson's own words in DOT:

"In attempting to refute my point, Gould resoundingly confirmed it."
(Johnson P.E., "Darwin on Trial", InterVarsity Press: Downers Grove
Ill., Second Edition, 1993, p161) :-)

As I have already pointed out, Johnson has been acknowledged by
leading evolutionists like Gould, Eldredge, Provine, and Weinberg as
having a "case" even if they disagree with it:

"In his 1992 book Dreams of a Final Theory, Steven described me as
currently "the most respectable academic critic of evolution."
(Weinberg S., "Dreams of a Final Theory", 1992, pp247-49, in Johnson
P.E., "Darwin on Trial", InterVarsity Press: Downers Grove Ill.,
Second Edition, 1993, p157)

May I reverse-paraphrase and apply it to the committed
theistic evolutionist?

"When I remove the pro-evolutionary bias and what I consider to be the
UNSURMOUNTABLE skepticism (i.e. nothing the anti-evolutionist could
say would convince him)..." :-)

I know its hard for you to understand Terry, but to those of us who
have not been converted to evolutionism, Johnson hits the nail
squarely on the head.

God bless.

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |

ibility (even
probability) that an Intelligent Designer created the cosmos, life and
life's major groups, and you would be aware of this when framing
your hypotheses re *origins*. It should then help in avoiding false
trails, eg. investigator interference in origin of life experiments,
as Thaxton, Bradley and Olsen point out in their book "The Mystery of
Life's Origin." Shapiro wrote of it:

"The authors have made an important contribution to the origin of life
field. Many workers in this area believe that an adequate scientific
explanation for the beginning of life on Earth has already been made.
Their point of view has been widely disseminated in texts and the
media, and to a large extent, has been accepted by the public. This
new work brings together the major scientific arguments that
demonstrate the inadequacy of current theories. Although I do not
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
share the final philosophical conclusion that the authors reach, I
welcome their contribution. It will help to clarify our thinking....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would recommend this book to everyone with a scientific background
and interest In the origin of life...." -Robert Shapiro, Professor of
Chemistry at New York University. Dr. Shapiro is coauthor of Life
Beyond Earlh." (Thaxton C.B., Bradley W.L. & Olsen R.L., "The
Mystery of Life's Origin: Reassessing Current Theories, Lewis &
Stanley: Dallas TX, 1992, back cover).

JB>Burgy (the unrepentant MN scientist & TR Christian).

If you are *really* a "TR" then you perhaps in your heart of
hearts already know the answer to your own questions above! :-)

God bless.