Re: Modelling of abiogenesis

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 30 Apr 1996 14:15:11 -0400

Art Chadwick wrote:

>As in all abiogenic experiments, the presence opf the investigator foils the
>abiogenic label.

This is a reasonable concern. However, _if_ such a thing as abiogenesis
can occur, and how it can occur is discovered, a human investigator will be
involved in some way.

>In this case as you point out the problem is much deeper,
>since Pargellis has played God, by programming and using a computer.

Again, a reasonable concern. However, if such a thing as abiogenesis can
occur, computer simulations may be useful in understanding how it might
occur. I agree that a successful computer simulation should not be
considered a solution of the abiogenesis problem. But simulations can
still be useful in gaining insights about what may have happened and how it
happened (if indeed it did)

What
>can I say. I won't deny that he is clever. But what he has done has *no*
>relevance for abiogenesis of anything.

>If he were to grind the computer
>into dust and sprinkle it in the ocean, and the computer appeared complete
>with the code, running and produced what he says it did, then it would have
>some relevance for the origin of life.

Oh dear. This is a pretty severe test. I don't believe a string of DNA
inside a living cell could pass it either. (Sorry, Art. I couldn't resist
it.)

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)