Re: Isochrons

Steven Schimmrich (s-schim@students.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:48:42 -0500 (CDT)

Bill Hamilton wrote:

> Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> Well, if the data form an isochron, it's assumed that the system has been
>> closed since isotopic resetting.
>
> However, Davis Young points out in "Christianity and the age of the earth"
> that there are some physical inspections that can be made to help ensure
> that the rocks being dated have not been contaminated in some way. They
> involved things like looking for cracks and signs of seepage into the rock
> being dated.

Exactly. I think I pointed this out several times in my post where I said
that you have to look at the rocks petrographically (under the microscope) to
look for evidence of alteration, metamorphism, etc. and you can't just grab
a rock and isotopically date it being ignorant of the geologic setting.

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich       Callsign KB9LCG       s-schim@uiuc.edu      Department of Geology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign         245 Natural History Building, Urbana, IL 61801  (217) 244-1246      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim           Deus noster refugium