Re: Developmental Evolutionary Biology

lhaarsma@OPAL.TUFTS.EDU
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 12:13:53 -0500 (EST)

Steve, you wrote:

> But one of my arguments
> is that TEs who allow God's intervention in the origin of the
> universe, life and human beings, are really inconsistent PCs.

That argument is valid, but I think it is directed at a non-existent
group. If there are any TE's out there who allow God's intervention in
the origin of the universe, life, and human beings, but who categorically
RULE OUT God's intervention in the rest of biological history, please
raise your hands.

Here, I think, is a more accurate portrayal of all TE's: We allow God's
intervention at any time in history, but we believe, based on the
scientific evidence and for various theological reasons, that a
non-interventionist scenario is currently the best working hypothesis
for studying and understanding biological history.

That may be wrong, but it is not inconsistent.

"... No, but the truth is more complicated." | Loren Haarsma
--Dad (_Calvin_and_Hobbes_) | lhaarsma@opal.tufts.edu