Re: Johnson's "grasp" of AIDS

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 18:39:10 -0500

A quick response to Tim Ikeda

>Steve Clark writes:
>[Regarding Kary Mullis...]
>>Well, anyone can make a mistake. There has been substantial criticism
>>regarding the originality of Kary's contribution to the idea of PCR
>>(polymerase chain reaction). PCR is a technique that has revolutionized
>>molecular biology, and that some claim to have been around long before
>>Mullis decided to make a career out of a simple technique.

>Background: I recall that this was at the crux of the patent fight
>between Cetus and DuPont. DuPont lawyers claimed that the PCR
>technique was published in the scientific literature sometime before
>Cetus patented the method. DuPont lost the case. Even though it seems
>obvious now, and probably would have been developed within 2-3 years
>anyway, Mullis did it first. So, I'm inclined to give Kary full credit
>for a clever idea.

Actually the patent fight is over a thermostable enzyme called Taq
polymerase which wasn't originally used in PCR. What I refer to above, is a
claim by another Nobelist biochemist, Paul Berg, that the PCR concept had
circulated in biochemistry circles many years before Kary reported on it.
Everyone simply considered it another "technique" which, in fact, it is.
Thus, the originality of Kary's contribution has been disputed.

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"To disdain philosophy is really to be a philosopher." Blaise Pascal, Pensees