Re: Old Earth

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 22 Apr 96 07:15:42 EDT

Randy

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 18:40:27 -0700 (PDT) you wrote:

RL>There is some interesting facts about the Mt. St. Helens area and
>spirit lake that explains many of these layers which were not layed
>down in millions of years but rather hours. I believe that Steve
>Austin even has made a vidio about it. I have seen the vidio and it
>is very informative.

SJ>Yes. No one denies there are catastrophic changes over a short
>time-frame in local areas (eg. Surtsey, Scablands, etc).
>Unfortunately, this is neither evidence for a young Earth nor for a
>global Flood.

RL>The hurricane, the flood or tsunami may do more in an hour or a day
>than the ordinary processes of nature have achieved in a thousand
>years.

No doubt, but these are all *local* effects. Global Flood advocates
need to show one *global* catastrophe, not extrapolate from local
catastrophes.

RL>In other words, the history of any one part of the earth, like the
>life of a soldier, consists of long periods of boredom adn short
>periods of terror. Dr. Derek Ager, The Nature of the
>Stratigraphical Record, 1981,pp.54,106

Indeed, the operative phrase being "of any one part of the earth". A
global Flood requires there be *one* long period of boredom and *one*
short period of terror. Citing evidence of a whole series of local
catastrophes, the latest being "Mt. St. Helens" actually weakens
the global Flood geology case.

God bless.

Steve

PS: Sorry if this is a double-up

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |