Re: Johnson's "grasp" of AIDS

Thomas L Moore (mooret@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 18:12:54 -0700 (MST)

On 19 Apr 1996, Jim Bell wrote:

> Thomas Moore writes, calmly:
>
> <<Invoking that someone has a Nobel Prize in
> _NO WAY_ qualifies a person as a expert on the subject _BEING
> DISCUSSED_. If his Nobel is on AIDS research or AIDS related research,
> say so. Stop being lazy and show me that this person really is qualified.>>
>
> What does a guy have to do to be considered an expert? Gain immortality? If a
> Nobel Prize winner in CHEMISTRY can't talk about CHEMISTRY and have a
> presumption of expertise, then there is no pleasing you. But you've
> contributed exactly nothing to the debate.
>
> That's why I just can't take this objection seriously.

Yet another dodge. I might be a geologist, but I'm certainly _not_ an
expert at everything related to geology - NOR IS ANY CHEMIST OR
BIOCHEMIST! As I said, you defense was a defense of authority, which is
donning the priestly robes you detest so much.

> <<Your argument before was the Johnson knew something because
> he associated himself with who you assumed as "expert.">>
>
> Right.

which is a false argument.

> << Now you've
> switched to showing whether or not he was in error, which really is the
> issue. You did not defend Johnson on the basis of good arguments either,
> you defended him via argument from authority. If you have a problem with
> the "priesthood," don't invoke it as a defense.>>
>
> You're mixing two different arguments here. To the charge that Johnson has "no
> grasp" of the science, his association with experts speaks for itself (unless
> you can produce specific evidence to the contrary). Re: Johnson's arguments,
> his logic and reasoning, he stands alone, and ably. If there is a particular
> example of his reasoning you have trouble with, that can be discussed.

Which is my point. If you are going to defend him, defend him on his
arguments. If you defend him by using authority arguments, you have
donned the priestly robes.

> But discussed in a civil manner. You have erupted lately in several posts with
> things like: "Lazy duff." "Crying." "Intellectual dishonesty," etc. I and some
> others have noted this as getting a little out of hand on the rhetoric side.
> Let's all calm down and deal with the merits. To start, see Terry Gray's fine
> post on Phil Johnson.

DId you miss your own usage of the ad hominem of "preistly" and
"priesthood"????? I take GREAT OFFENSE to that accusation, and I will
respond in kind. I will not use those terms when you stop with the
rhetoric yourself.

Tom