RE: "Primary literature"

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:37:25 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Chuck Warman wrote:

> <Sigh> No, Tom, for the umpteenth time, I mean that it's unfair for
> scientists to demand that non-scientists be conversant in the primary
> scientific literature in order to criticize their *LOGIC*, NOT their
> scientific expertise. If a statement is a tautology, or is
> self-referential, or just generally doesn't make LOGICAL sense, having read
> or not having read the primary literature is, in most cases, irrelevant.
> Nowhere in any of my posts have I questioned anyone's scientific expertise.
> But one can be able to quote all the primary literature in his field and
> still be, patently, a fool (I have no one in mind here!). There are two
> issues (at least) involved in this debate - science and philosophy. You're
> addressing one, I'm addressing the other. I just don't know how else to say
> it. I'll ignore the rest of your post since it simply repeats the same
> argument at a higher decibel level.

Chuck,
Before you start applying these philosophical/critical tools your are
talking about here, you have to be familiar with the material upon which
you apply your methods of criticism.

What I and Tom are trying to get across, is before you take that big
ax of yours out and go chopping about, you've got to know what a tree
looks like. So before you go looking for the logic or lack of if in
science, you should know first hand what you are criticizing rather than
depending on someone else's understanding of the field. In other words,
be a first line critic, rather than a second or third line critic.

And Tom is right, it takes some effort and discipline to become familiar
with the primary literature, but it can be done without an advanced
degree.

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."