Re: Can you be objective about evolution?

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:03:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Terry M. Gray wrote:

> Here are a couple of comments, Art.
>
> 3. My question is whether you [Art C.] can be objective--doesn't your
> Adventist theology demand a young-earth, special creationist perspective?

Well, my mom always said I was a slow learner, but this kinda solves the
mystery of Art's view on origins for me. Nothing need be said beyond
this.

Many times on the reflector we hear of conspiracy stories on how the
modern secular university inhibits Christians from seeing the "light" of
YEC or PC. Inversely, can it be said that at religiously based
institutions a similar dynamic occurs?

How about Art? Do you have to sign some sort of creationist statement of
faith at the college where you are teaching that philosophy of science
course? Any chance it is skewing you, to use your words, from "being
objective about evolution?"

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."