Re: Is it soup yet? #4

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 01 Apr 96 06:34:33 EST

Group

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:35:01 -0700 (MST) Denis wrote to Brian Harper:

DL>...This is just more evidence of the Stephen Jones Method--the
>recycling of SECONDARY LITERATURE with little to no appreciation of the
>PRIMARY LITERATURE accompanied with wild overstatements/"conclusions"
>"in his humble opinion" to support his Fundamentalism.

I will not defend myself from Denis' ad hominem style of debate (Mt
5:39). But I note that Brian has posted from the dreaded "secondary
literature" too:

BH> -- Erasmus Darwin, as quoted by D. King-Hele in
> <Erasmus Darwin>, Macmillan, 1963, p. 71.
>
> According to King-Hele, Darwin wrote something like this first in
> <Zoonomia> [volume I, 1794] except for the part in [brackets].
> The above version appeared in <The Temple of Nature>, 1803.

yet Denis things that is both "primary literature" and "great"! It
seems that "primary literature" is what supports Denis' evolutionary
views and "secondary literature" is what doesn't? :-) I would respect
Denis' views on this if he criticised *everyone* who posted "secondary
literature" even-handedly. As it is, I conclude it is just a ploy to
avoid having to face the issues raised by my quotes.

Also, I would point out that I mine must be a strange category
of "Fundamentalism", because I believe the Earth is probably 4.6
billion years old and concede that there *may* be errors in the Bible!

For the record and newcomers, I am not a Fundamentalist, but I do
believe that the Bible is God's unique special revelation to man, and
I take it *very* seriously. I would categorise myself as a
conservative evangelical.

DL>"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
>rather than expose thy opponent."

Indeed! :-)

God bless.

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |