Re: Is it soup yet? #4

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 14:34:23 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Randy Landrum wrote:

> I am sorry that you think I have nothing to add to the discussion in your
> private message you attempted to ridicule me for my encouraging words to
> a fellow who I agreed with. I do not have phd but then again neither did
> Jesus Christ.
>
> Maybe Solomon is more your equal than am I:
>
> These six things doth the Lord hate; yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
>
> A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An
> heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that are swift in running
> to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth
> discord among brethren.
>
> Proverbs 6:16-19
>
> I will pray for you.
>
> Randy

Dear Randy,
I am sorry too. Sorry that you decided to make your post public, forcing
me to defend myself publicly. And I am sorry that I hurt your feelings.

But return to the original post and my
comment and you'll have to admit that you did not contribute anything
substantive to the debate--that was my only point. The reflector is
exactly that--a place of reflection where one's comments are open to
public scrutiny. And if you can't take that scrutiny, then maybe you
shouldn't participate.

Regarding your post today--thanks. Very good verses.

Regarding phd degrees, they seem to pose a greater self-image challenge to
those who don't have them than those who hold them. One's self-image and
inherent value rests in Jesus Christ's love for us, not pieces of
parchment on a wall. However, the phd represents a lot of work,
discipline and commitment. It makes one an expert in one's area of study.
And there is nothing more irritating to a phd than seeing an amateur
pontificate nonsense in one's area of specialty (and, of course, I am not
referring to you) . . . in particular when that amateur doesn't even grasp
the basic methodological principles of the discipline.

And thanks for the prayers.

Regards,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."