Re: dust

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:38:07 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 28 Mar 1996 jimbeh@ms.uky.edu wrote:

> I found this review article, during a training session on how to use the
> literature data base Dialog. I had read of this argument for a young earth
> in the 1974 edition of "Scientific Creationism" and I wanted to check the
> literature myself. I was really surprised to find this review article.
> Because of this experience, I began to be quite skeptical of the level of
> scholarship within the creationist movement. If one of my students made
> this type of mistake in an undergraduate paper, I would probably suggest
> that they recheck their sources then re-write that section. However, when
> I see that type of error in a book written by "an outstanding team of
> creationist scientists, educators, and Bible scholars" [taken from the
> back cover of the book], I wonder about their scholarly abilities. When
> I see and hear the argument continuing to be used, my response is something
> like "They are probably nice people and are kind to animals, but they
> really don't belong in the discussion. Truth isn't important to them."
> Intellectual dishonesty isn't any better than financial dishonesty.
>
> Jim Behnke, Asbury College, Wilmore, KY 40390 jimbeh@ms.uky.edu

Dear Jim,
I appreciate and relate to your evaluation of YEC. I had a similar
experience at the beginning of a Masters degree in Old Testament (Gen
1-11). I was a YEC then and when I compared Henry Morris' "The Genesis
Record" (1984) with the standard works on the first chapters of the Bible
I was shocked. It is not even good undergraduate work. But then Dr.
Morris is, after all, a hydraulic engineer, not an OT scholar. I'll let
him figure out the plumbing in my house, not the exegesis of God's Word.

Blessings,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."