Re: Colin Patterson/Luther Sunderland

Thomas L Moore (mooret@GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 19:43:54 -0700 (MST)

Lots of confusion here :)

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Stephen Jones wrote:

> Jim
>
> On Wed, 20 Mar 96 13:51:18 MST you wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> I think there is confusion here. Sunderland, as is normal practice,
> tape
> recorded his personal interviews with Patterson and other curators of
> natural history museums. I think Dodson is getting that confused with
> that. In fact I cannot see in Sunderland's book "Darwin's Enigma"
> where
> he even mentions Patterson's 1981 address to the AMNH!

I think the confusion you're experiencing is because Sunderland wrote more
than a single book. In my database alone I have him down for up to 6
publications in total (including Impacts etc). In fact, I think it's the
following publication that's really being discussed here:

Sunderland, L.D., and Parker, G.E., 1982, Evolution? Prominet scientist
reconsiders: ICR Impact Series, no. 108, p.1-4.

I could be wrong about the exact publication, but in anycase, the people
discussing this issue should clear up their sources for us. My guess is
that the Patterson responses are in a Creation/Evolution Newsletter.

> Well, after getting such a simple matter as Sunderland's tape
> recording
> of his interview with Patterson's in 1979, with a tape recording by an
> unnamed person at the AMNH in 1981 (which matter is not AFAIK even in
> Sunderland's book), Dodson does not have much credit with me for
> objectivity in this matter. But let's wait and see what the transcript
> says,
> shall we? :-)

Before being critical of Dodson, be sure of the exact publications that
are being discussed. Then you can be as critical as you want to be :)

Tom