Time in the geologic column. Part 1

Glenn Morton (GRMorton@gnn.com)
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 08:21:43

Tony Jester's message was forwarded to me. Since I largely addressed the time
necessary for the geologic column in a post of about a year ago, I thought I
would repost it. The original post was designed to prove the existence of the
entire geologic column, but it also gives a whole lot of evidence why each
layer took lots of time for it to be deposited.

I am not rejoining the reflector just yet, but I will respond to criticisms as
long as I am copied at my current e-mail address. The entire post will come
in 3 parts. Tony's questions is one many christians asked, so instead of just
sending it to him privately, I will send it to the reflector. This post and
others on the issue can be found on my (very underconstruction and having many
problems) WWW page http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/DMD.htm

Tony Jester wrote:
>What I really meant to ask, more specifically is:
>
> what is the evidence they (Christians trained in geology)
> use to "prove" that the sedimentary layers of the geologic
> column were deposited over millions of years - and why
> couldn't these layers have been deposited by the Noaic flood?
>
>I guess it's obvious that I believe they were deposited by the
>flood, but I want to know, from a Christian trained in geology, is
>why this could not have been so.
>
>Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Here is more help than you want,

glenn
**oldt post belew**
The Geologic Column and Its Implications to the Flood Part 1
Glenn R. Morton
Copyright 1995
This is intended for the private use of the reflector
participants and selected friends. Reflector members may keep one
copy. Please don't send this anywhere else. I am thinking about
turning this into an article. Although I am not sure at this
point who would publish it.

I recently had a private discussion with a gentleman on the
reflector concerning the nature of the Haymond beds in
Southwestern Texas. The issues which this raised might be of some
interest to the reflectorites.
The Haymond beds consist of 15,000 alternating layers of sand
and shale. The sands have several characteristic sedimentary
features which are found on turbidite deposits. Turbidites are
deep water deposits in which each sand layer is deposited in a
brief period of time, by a submarine 'landslide" (I am trying to
avoid jargon here) and the shale covering it is deposited over a
long period of time. I made the comment that one feature of
this deposit made it an excellent argument for an old earth and
local flood.