Re[2]: Old Earth

David S. Buchanan (buck353@okway.okstate.edu)
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:11:03 -0600

Steve Schimmrich said:

>The evidence for an old earth is writ large in nature and if you
>spend some time studying geology you will see that the evidence is
>overwhelming and the idea of a 6000 year old earth appears quite
>ludicrous.

and Arthur Chadwick responded:

> Not nearly so ludicrous as the idea of a resurrection or an ascension or
>a hundred other things in scriptures.

I have deleted the original message but I recall that Arthur went on to say
something to the effect that there is much evidence against the
resurrection just as there is much evidence against a young earth (if my
recollection is incorrect, my apologies).

This response confuses me on two fronts.

First, I am not aware of any physical evidence against the resurrection.
All we have is the word of those that were there at the time. Of course we,
who are Christians, also have the knowledge that Christ lives in us and so
He must be alive. In contrast, there is certainly much physical evidence
that opposes a young earth. We can choose to accept it as convincing, or
not, but the evidence does exist.

Secondly, a comparison of a belief in a young earth with a belief in the
resurrection seems to miss the fact that the resurrection is central to the
nature of Christianity while the age of the earth is not. Without the
resurrection, there is no uniqueness to Christianity. It is like other
religions that revere a great teacher or philosopher. Further, without the
resurrection then the central Christian concept of accepting Christ into
our hearts and lives is faulty. In contrast, evidence for an ancient earth
does not contradict our belief in a risen Saviour.

Dave