Yockey#4

Brian D. Harper (bharper@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 14:11:45 -0500

Yockey#4 A post by Koichiro Matsuno (bionet.info-theory)
followed by Yockey's reply. Yockey's accusations
against Sydney Fox are particularly interesting.
The tie in is that Matsuno was co-author with
Fox on an important contribution to the abiogenesis
literature. Fox is well known for the "proteinoid"
scenario for the origin of life. Fox gets pretty
rough treatment in Yockey's book.

From: kmatsuno@VOSCC.NAGAOKAUT.AC.JP (koichiro matsuno/7129)
Newsgroups: bionet.info-theory
Subject: Re: Yockey Definitions
Date: 18 Feb 1995 05:04:33 -0800
Sender: daemon@net.bio.net

In article <3i00ti$it0@newsbf02.news.aol.com> hpyockey@aol.com (HPYockey)
wrties:

>What did you think of my comments on the origin of life and the
>self-organization of Manfred Eigen? That is a lot more controversial than
>the Shannon-McMillan Theorem.

May I jump in here? Yockey made the same point almost fifteen years ago
and said that "The argument made in all origin of life scenarios is that one
can trace the origin of life by going back in time along evolutionary
pathways to simpler and yet more simple organisms" (Yockey, H. P., 1981,
J. Theor. Biol. 91, 13). I remember this statement because Sidney Fox and
myself quoted it in our JTB paper (1983, J. Theor. Biol. 101, 321) while
responding to his complaint about all self-organization scenarios. But, I
am not going to repeat the same old stroy again ;-). My intention is quite
the opposite.

Yockey's emphasis on the Shannon-McMillan theorem is sound and
unquestionable. Its corollary, however, is that information thus conceived
is synchronic in the sense that the source matrix of information or how to
partition the probability space, once fixed, remains invariant in time.
This point would become most acute if an evolutionary historical
development is the case. If an invariant ensemble of evolutionary _histories_
is available in a synchronic and time-independent manner, the high
probability sequences would certainly tell us something very significant.
In contrast, if only a single sequence of historical development is
available as the evolutionary process proceeding on our earth, synchronic
information would not be of much use even if it is legitimate. Surely, an
uneasiness with synchronic information is visible in the article <3glqca$pof@
mserv1.dl.ac.uk> of Avi Elitzur <CFELI@WEIZMANN.weizmann.ac.il>:

>The impression of information theory emerging from Yockey's
>book is that of a purely technical tool, hardly interesting for the
>biologist. While offering detailed analyses of DNA sequences, Yockey
>dismisses any attempt to go beyond that.

Information referred to a single sequence of evolutionary development is
diachronic and cannot enjoy the conceptual rigor that synchronic
information takes for granted. What synchronic information is to entropy to
the invariant probability space, that is diachronic information to meaning to
the sequence of experience. Yockey has been most keen in warning against
muddling both synchronic and diachronic information in an unprincipled
manner. We should listen to him at this point. At the same time, diachronic
information waits a new challenge because our experiences in general and
evolutionary processes in particular are simply diachronic, though a lot of
seemingly synchronic pieces could be available if cut arbitrarily.

Regards,
Koichiro

Koichiro Matsuno
Department of BioEngineering