Re: Is it soup yet?

Brian D. Harper (bharper@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Sat, 24 Feb 1996 22:12:32 -0500

Stephen wrote:

>I am interested in emails of any other papers by Yockey. Robert van
>deWater has urged me to get Yockey's book (available from Hugh Ross'
>Reasons to Believe).

I would also highly recommend his book.

I have collected several of Huberts posts from several different
newsgroups. Some time ago (I think before Stephen was here) I
offered to send stuff to people by e-mail. This turned into
somewhat of a headache ;-). I think what I'll do is post these
to the reflector; that way they'll become part of the archives
and newcomers can find them there if they are interested. The
best of what I have is a lengthy defense of his book that was
posted to bionet.info-theory. This is a reply to the various
reviews of his book. This was followed by replies from several
knowledgeable people, including one of the authors of one of
the reviews that Yockey was responding to.

I have also had the pleasure of corresponding with Yockey
by e-mail quite a bit. Without doubt one of the most interesting
people I've ever met. Here is a list of his publications which
he sent me.

Yockey, Hubert P. (1995). Comment on "Let There Be Life" by
Avshalom C. Elitzur. Journal of Theoretical Biology, v176 349-355.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1995). Information in bits and bytes. BioEssays, 17,
85-88.
Yockey, Hubert P. Information Theory and Molecular Biology. Cambridge, New
York: Cambridge University Press (1992).
Yockey, Hubert P. (1981). Self-organization origin of life scenarios and
information theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 91, 13-31.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1979). Do overlapping genes violate molecular biology and
the theory of evolution? Journal of Theoretical Biology, 80, 21-26.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1978). Can the Central Dogma be derived from information
theory? Journal of Theoretical Biology, 74, 149-152.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1977a). A prescription which predicts functionally
equivalent residues at given sites in protein sequences. Journal of
Theoretical Biology, 67, 337-343.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1977b). On the information content of cytochrome c.
Journal of Theoretical Biology, 67, 345-376.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1977c). A calculation of the probability of spontaneous
biogenesis by information theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 67,
377-398.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1974). An application of information theory to the Central
Dogma and the sequence hypothesis. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 46,
369-406.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1960). "The Use of Information Theory in Aging and
Radiation Damage," in The Biology of Aging. American Institute of Biological
Sciences, Symposium No. 6 (160), pp338-347.
Yockey, Hubert P., Platzman, Robert P. & Quastler, Henry, eds. (1958a).
Symposium on Information Theory in Biology, New York, London: Pergamon Press.

Yockey, Hubert P. (1958b). A study of aging, thermal killing and radiation
damage by information theory. In Symposium on Information Theory in Biology.
eds. Hubert P. Yockey, Robert Platzman & Henry Quastler, pp. 297-316. New
York, London: Pergamon Press.
Yockey, Hubert P. (1956). An application of information theory to the physics
of tissue damage. Radiation Research, 5, 146-155.

Letters to the editor
Yockey, Hubert P. Children of Choice. Nature, 364, (1993), p10.
Yockey, Hubert P. Big vs. Little Science: A Lesson from Alvarez. Physics
Today, 45, (1992), p92.
Yockey, Hubert P. When is random random? Nature, 344, (1990), p823.
Yockey, Hubert P. Of Particles, Pyramids and Piper Playing. Physics Today,
41, (1988), 129-130.

Condensed matter physics
Yockey, Hubert P. & Clifford L. Aseltine. Development of high voltages in
potassium dihydrogen phosphate irradiated by gamma rays. Physical Review B,
11, (1975), 437-438.
Helmut H.A. Krueger, William R. Cook Jr., C.C. Sartain & Hubert P. Yockey.
Radiation Damage and the Ferroelectric Effect in Rochelle Salt. Journal of
Applied Physics, 34, (1963), 218-224.
C.C. Sartain & H.P. Yockey. Cryostat for Reactor Irradiation. The Review of
Scientific Instruments, 29, (1958), 118-121.
M.R. Jeppson, R.L. Mather, A. Andrew & H.P. Yockey. Creep of Aluminum Under
Cyclotron Irradiation. Journal of Applied Physics, 26 (1955), 365-376.

Health physics and radiation protection
H.P. Yockey, Symposium on the Effect of the Recommendations of the National
Committee on Radiation Protection (NCRP) on National Life, Health Physics, 4,
(1961), p205.
H.P. Yockey, Radiation Aging and its Relation to the Principles of Health
Physics Health Physics, 1, (1959), 417-426.

Outdoor and exploring publications

Yockey, Hubert P. The 1918 Expedition of Jim and Maud Watt Across the Frozen
Wilderness of Labrador-Ungava. The Explorers Journal, Spring (1994).
Yockey, Hubert P. Did the Norsemen Sail from Greenland to Ungava for Timber?
The Explorers Journal, 70, 98-100 (1992).
Yockey, Hubert P. Les Voyageur on Quebec's Swampy Bay River. The Explorers
Journal, 69, 172-176 (1990).
Yockey, Hubert P. Expedition Stress. Canoe, 14, p87 (1986).
Yockey, Hubert P. First Down Quebec's Whale River. The Explorers Journal, 62,
98-105 (1984). This was the lead article and cover picture.
Yockey, Hubert P. Whitewater on the Youghiogheny. Canoe, 6, 16-18 (1978).
Yockey, Hubert P. Scouting a Whitewater Wilderness. Canoe, 4, 54-56 (1976).

Brian Harper |
Associate Professor | "It is not certain that all is uncertain,
Applied Mechanics | to the glory of skepticism" -- Pascal
Ohio State University |