Re: Endosymbiosis

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 14:46:09 -0600

Terry Gray wrote:
>>I'm still inclined to say that people's resistance to evolutionary theory
>>stems primarily from a belief that Christian theology requires/favors a
[clip]
view that if God's activity is not evident then he is a
>>superfluous add-on to our thinking).

And this comment from Bill Hamilton:
An implication
> of this view, IMO, is that however God goes about performing His oversight
> of nature, man can detect it.

I recently tried to show how this requirement that we be able to see the
handiwork of God in nature is applied unevenly by some. For example, most
of us seem perfectly content to understand in naturalistic ways, how a tree
grows from a seed. But then in other areas of science, it seems that some
feel it necessary to see God's hand in things. This example shows, I think,
an interesting line of demarcation between phylogenetic and ontogenetic science.

Cheers,

Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53792

"Now how does one alter the charge on the niobium ball? 'Well at that
stage', said my friend, 'we spray it with positrons to increase the charge
or with electrons to decrease the charge.' From that day forth I've been
a scientific realist. So far as I'm concerned, if you can spray them then
they are real". Ian Hacking, Representing and Intervening, 1983