Re: OUCH

Terry M. Gray (grayt@Calvin.EDU)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 11:21:09 -0400

Paul Adams wrote:

>To those who wish to use the term old earth creationist as a contrast to
>young earth creationist, let me ask what you would like the term to mean. Do
>you see it as roughly similar to progressive creationist (including the
>concordist variant day-age theory)? Or would it be a broader term that would
>include theistic evolution? In conversations at ASA meetings, I have met
>progressive creationists who think that any label that includes the term
>"creationist" in reference to a theistic evolutionist is inappropriate.
>These individuals apparently feel that "creationist" means "special
>creationist" in which supernatural physical creations are required after the
>creation of nature itself. If the term is to include both PC and TE, then it
>would have a meaning that no other term, that I can think of, would have and
>thus could be quite useful. (This would be like the term special creation as
>it bridges YEC, PC, and the gap theory.) If, on the other hand, OEC is
>merely to be a synonym for PC (and possibly including GT?), then the value
>would be quite limited.

I for one do not use old earth creationist as a synonym for progressive
creationism. My preferred label is "evolutionary creationist" (EC) and I
was delighted to see Loren Haarsma use the term in his essay in *The World
and I*. I vigorously resist any effort to make the term "creationist" or
"creation" to refer only to special creation.

Terry G.

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D. Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Calvin College 3201 Burton SE Grand Rapids, MI 40546
Office: (616) 957-7187 FAX: (616) 957-6501
Email: grayt@calvin.edu http://www.calvin.edu/~grayt