Re: Dean Kenyon (was Darwinist Macro-Evolution)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Thu, 08 Feb 96 23:29:21 EST

Jim

On Tue, 6 Feb 96 16:53:01 MST you wrote:

[...]

SJ>BTW, Dean Kenyon used to be a Reflectorite. I have his email
address.
>Would you agree for me to forward your assertion:
>
>"He (Kenyon) did not lose his post, he was only suspended from
>teaching an introductory biology course for non-majors because he had
>been teaching bogus young-earth arguments, and also arguing against
>abortion. In my opinion the suspension was justified; if I was a
>student paying good money for tuition, I'd be decidedly unhappy if I
>got that in lectures."
>
>to him for comment?
>
>Certainly. Since it was a public posting, I don't think you're even
>obligated to ask, but thanks anyway.

Thanks, but the original rules of the Reflector was that all email on
it was confidential to be shared among Reflectorites only, although
our semi-public web archive makes that questionable.

Having received your permission, I have sent Dr Kenyon a copy of your
allegation and advised him of the URL of the web archive. I doubt
that he will respond, because the issue is still probably sensitive
and email goes a long way.

BTW, I agree with Jim Bell that the assertions of Kenyon's accusers is
not proof. Even if Kenyon had discussed YEC and anti-abortion views,
so what? He is not a YEC himself (AFAIK) and may have only been doing
it to get his students to think. I thought that was the real goal of
universities? :-)

By contrast I admire and respect the arch-atheist Darwinist William
Provine because he actually invites Phillip Johnson to argue his
anti-Darwinist case before his (Provine's) class.

Regards.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |