Re: Dean Kenyon (was Darwinist Macro-Evolution)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Fri, 09 Feb 96 05:58:56 EST

Steve

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:18:02 -0600 you wrote:

BH>I hear frequent complaints from Christians attending state
>universities that some professors use their classrooms to
>indoctrinate students with their particular slant on women's issues,
>lesbianism, pro-abortion and a variety of other highly political
>issues.

SC>Regardless whether one is talking about these examples or about the
>Kenyon episode, teaching something that is not advertised or that
>does not properly belongs in a course, borders on ethical
>malpractice, in my mind. It is a type of "bait-and-switch" scam that
>can be used to indoctrinate rather than to teach. But the context in
>which the "offense" is made is important.

[...]

If Kenyon what teaching the origin of life and human biology, I would
have thought it highly relevant to briefly mention alternatives to the
conventional wisdom. I thought universities were about expanding
students' mental horizons?

The two best units I remember for university were the ones where the
lecturer gave his/her personal philosophy. They were Political
Science, where the lecturer was a Marxist. The other was Sociology,
where the lecturer strongly pushed Feminism. Both were fascinating
insights and probably of more use in understanding life than the
actual curiculum.

Evolutionists are always bemoaning the fact that the majority of the
population still believe in YEC. I would have thought one way to
solve this "problem" is where appropriate (eg. Introduction to
Science, etc) cover theistic options (ie. YEC, PC, TE, Pantheism), as
an alternative to naturalistic orthodoxy and let the students make up
their own minds. That is assuming that universities really aren't
indoctrination centres for naturalism! :-)

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |