RE: Philosophy of Science

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Thu, 08 Feb 96 06:36:21 EST

Bill

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996 08:48:45 -0500 you wrote:

>BH>Agreed. Perhaps it's time to throw a party. I don't know when
>Stephen and I have agreed so completely.

SJ>I am genuinely puzzled by this, Bill. I thought most of the time
>we "agreed...completely"? Am I now cast as the resident creationist
>with whom all must be seen to disagree? :-)

BH>Oh please, Stephen. I was being a bit facetious.

Sorry if I am too sensitive. But I did not see any "smilicons".

BH>But there was a point to
>my remark, and that is that you sometimes give me the impression that you
>want science to be a complete description of reality. Science is an
>enterprise in which men try to discover things about nature by their own
>efforts. But we worship a God whose ways are higher than ours, and Who
>takes the initiative in bringing about His own revelation and the salvation
>of men. Knowing about God and partaking of the salvation He offers through
>Jesus Christ is not and cannot be a human enterprise. So by definition
>science cannot be a complete description of reality -- at least if you
>agree that there are spiritual aspects of reality.

I don't "want science to be a complete description of reality". But
some Darwinists write as though it is, in that what isn't science
isn't
real. This is one of the burdens of PJ.

SJ>Agreed. That's what Phil Johnson, in particular is doing. I have
>now received a quantity of PJ's audio tapes and one video. I can now
>understand much better where Phil is coming from. He is IMHO much
>better at explaining himself in person than he is is writing.

BH>I believe he's truly at his best in a debate, because then you see
>that he listens carefully to the other position and responds to it.

Yes. I am transcribing some of what he says. It is amazing how
different it reads from what it sounds. Phil's spoken voice is
pleasant and expressive.

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |