Re: Intervention

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Sat, 28 Oct 95 21:53:58 EDT

Jim

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:26:34 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

JB>I have been silent for a few months. I feel I must jump in now,
>though. I really don't understand why so many conservative
>christians want to believe in an "interventionist" God.

The main reason I believe in an "interventionist" God, is that the
Bible reveals God as intervening in human history at strategic points.
For example, the Flood, the Tower of Babel, the call of Abram, the
Exodus, the Exile and Restoration, the Incarnation, Pentecost, the
call of Saul, etc.

JB>That view of God is so deistic.

Eh? Deism is precisely the belief that God *doesn't* intervene!

JB>God, from time-to-time, notices that things are different than what
>they should be, he decides to do something, intervenes so that things
>change, then he goes back to what he was doing before he intervened.
>The world then goes on by itself without God paying attention, until
>the next time that something needs to be fixed.

This is a carricature. I do not believe that when God is not
intervening He is not "paying attention".

JB>What is wrong with the *slight* possibility that God is working
>*all the time*? I don't understand why this is such a hard idea to
>accept.

Of course God is "working all the time" (Jn 5:17). But that does not
mean He has to work *the same way* "all the time"?

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |