Re: Intervention and other issues

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sat, 21 Oct 95 09:25:31 EDT

Loren

On Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:56:50 -0500 (EST) you wrote:

>Stephen>Ultimately, for me at least, PC is more in harmony with the
>interventionist God of the Bible. God is One who intervenes in human
>history at strategic points, therefore I assume He also intervened in
>biological history at strategic point.

>Bill>I think you have a non sequiter here. God intervenes in human history
>because it suits His purposes. If He can accomplish His purposes in
>biological history without intervening, then I presume He wouldn't.

>Brian> I tend to agree with Bill on this. Suppose we rearranged Bill's idea
>slightly ;-) to say "If He can accomplish His purposes in human history
>without intervening, then I presume He wouldn't". What do you think?
>I think this is most likely the case.

Loren>Even if humans didn't rebel, I think God would "intervene" to
establish
>"personal relationships" with us. (e.g. verbal communication from God to
>humans is an "intervention.")

Agreed. So if God intervened in human history in human language, why
could not God intervening in biological history in biological
"language", ie. the genetic code?

What is the difference between God saying in human language to Abram:
"Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to
the land I will show you." (Gn 12:1), and God "saying" in genetic
code to Acanthostega: "grow a foot from your fin and your descendants
will go to a land that I will show them"?

After all, Genesis 1 depicts God in Gn 1:22 saying to animals (which
can't speak human language): "Be fruitful and increase in number and
fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth."
and then in Gn 1:28 saying a similar thing to man: "Be fruitful and
increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish
of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature
that moves on the ground."

The first may have been expresed in the language of the genetic
code and the second in human language? The common factor is the
Logos (Jn 1:1). If so, then this may be a fruitful area of common
understanding of Divine intervention between TE and PC?

God bless.

Stephen