Re: Crichton, evolution and chaos

Brian D. Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 22:56:59 -0400

John Turnbull wrote:

>Fundamental to the naturalistic world view is that blind, mindless
>processes are capable of producing apparence of design so ubiquitous is
>nature. But as Ulrich Becker, Prof. of physics at MIT astutely points
>out on the origin of life - "Luria and Ziegler argue on plausibilistic
>levels to overcome the minute probability of an accidental start as
>scientifically rigorous thermodynamics predicts. Even if new
>"chaos-to-order" models enhance the probability by many orders of
>magnitude to form the first reproducing entity, the question of the
>origin is not answered without addressing who arranged the laws to
>cooperate so well." (Cosmos, Bios, Theos - Henry Margenau & Abraham
>Varghese, Open Court, 1992, pg 29). In other words, systems that
>self-organize all by themselves suggest that the end product was
>in fact the result of a design built right into the very laws of
>nature itself.

Wow, this is exactly the way I've been thinking about this. Glad to see
I'm not alone ;-).

Of course, the diehard naturalist will probably try to answer with an abuse
of the Anthropic Principle, what I like to call the "we're here therefore
we're here" argument :-).

Brian Harper |
Associate Professor | "It is not certain that all is uncertain,
Applied Mechanics | to the glory of skepticism" -- Pascal
Ohio State University |