Re: Fossil Man again

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 05 Oct 95 05:05:55 EDT

Steve

On Mon, 2 Oct 1995 18:40:56 -0500 you wrote:

SJ>I am still waiting for Glenn's "evidence" that "TODAY there are
>some YEC's who hold to geocentrism." (emphasis mine).

SC>They do exist in local churches along with those who believe that
it has
>been proven that the Grand Canyon was formed in 3 weeks, and that glaciers
>never existed. I'vd talked to those who hold these positions. They
>uncritically buy into what their teachers tell them. I don't know if anyone
>is publishing this stuff, but it is being taught, at least in some places.
>Talk about unorthodox!

Glenn's "some" and "today", implies a large number currently. It is
uninteresting if "some" means one in a thousand.

I have been a member of fundamentalist churches for over 27 years. I
have
never, ever heard any YEC espouse geocentricism. No doubt there are a
tiny
minority who think it . But no doubt there are tiny minorities who
think
just about anything!

I am not a YEC, but I still believe it is unfair to characterise YECs
as
that there are "today there are some YEC's who hold to geocentrism",
especially as their major writings reject it:

"It is true, no doubt, that the dominant point of view in Christendom
during these years was in support of literal creation. At the same
time, it was not true as often charged that the concept of a
stationary earth and geocentric universe, as held by many of these
writers, originated in the Bible. The Bible teaches neither of these
things, but the church of those centuries was also largely dominated
by the philosophy of Aristotle, and these ideas were part of his
system, as well as that of Ptolemy."

(Morris H.M., "The Troubled Waters of Evolution", Creation-Life
Publishers: San Diego, 1974, p63).

I don't want to prolong this thread as I don't see it as my mission
in life to defend YECs.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |