Re: geocentrism

David J. Tyler (D.Tyler@mmu.ac.uk)
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:33:36 GMT

Glen wrote (3rd October):
> That author is still alive and holds those views. I think the term "today"
> still applies. Although the CRSQ decided they didn't want to publish him
> anymore. And when compared to the 1600's, 1979 is TODAY. Stephen, I don't
> think the world will collapse if I might be right about one itty bitty fact.

Just a brief note to say that Glen is right about this. A few
contemporary figures are:
1. Dr Geradous Bouw, a Professor in a Department of Maths and
Computing in the US, has founded the Institute for Biblical Astronomy.
He is the leading advocate today of geocentricity and has a book
with the title "Geocentricity" which was published in (I think) 1993.
2. Walter Lang, who used to lead the Bible Science Association, now
continues as a freelance YEC. He is reputed to favour geocentricity.
3. There is a group of French creationists who have formed a society
called CESHE. Most of them are geocentrists. (They are mostly Roman
Catholics - and regard Copernicus, Galileo, etc. as wayward products
of the Church.

I could mention others, but this will suffice. I hasten to add that
these people should be taken seriously. From what I have contributed
before (on the language of appearance), it is clear that I do not
wish to promote geocentrism - I would recommend that we give these
people credit for facing up to some of the issues and using their
minds. I think we help them most by focusing attention on biblical
interpretation - and correcting some of the careless interpretations
of Scripture that have been made in the past - most of which can be
related to the rather elastic concept of accommodation.

Apologies to Stephen and Loren for my slow response to their posts.
I hope things will improve in a few weeks time.

Best wishes,

*** From David J. Tyler, CDT Department, Hollings Faculty,
Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.
Telephone: 0161-247-2636 ***