Re: Miracles

blake@eesun1.tamu.edu
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 09:30:59 -0500

Steve Clark wrote:

>At this juncture, it seems to me that the important issue has to do with the
>way that we view naturalistic explanations vs supernaturalitic ones, or
>miracles. For a Christian, it would seem to me that one is no less
>wonderous than the other.

I agree. But it's a poor excuse to de-miracleize the Bible.

>can you think of other ways to synthesize
>this apparent dichotomy between naturalism and supernaturalism that truly
>eliminates the bias inherent in both positions?

I think Phil Johnson got it right. So did G. K. Chesterton as evidenced by
his comments in "Orthodoxy";

"For we must remember that the materialist philosophy (whether true or not)
is certainly much more limiting than any religion... The Christian is quite
free to believe that there is a considerable amount of settled order and
inevitable development in the universe. But the materialist is not allowed
to admit into his spotless machine the slightest speck of spiritualism or
miracle... Spiritual doctrines do not actually limit the mind as do
materialistic denials."

I'm still awaiting that list of miracles TEs believe are a part of origins.
Maybe it already came, but I missed it because it's so short.

Jim

Jim Blake
Associate Professor
Department of Electrical Engineering