Re: China Knew The Flood

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:53:46 -0500

Jim Bell writes

>Bill Hamilton is mistaken when he writes:
>
><< Chinese records going back something like
>9000 years don't mention anythng that would correspond to Noah's flood. >>

I may well be. As I have told Jim privately, this was based on a post in
talk.origins, so should be labeled hearsay until it can be substantiated or
dismissed. I have browsed through the talk.origins archives looking for
references without success, and have posted an inquiry on talk.origins.
If/when I find out anything I will post it.

Jim continues

>See Gleason Archer, "A Survey of Old Testament: Introduction" (Rev. Ed., 1985,
>p. 215):
>
>"But what shall we say of the legend of Manu preserved among the Hindus
>(acording to which Manu and seven others were saved in a ship from a worldwide
>flood); or of Fah-he among the Chinese (who was the only survivor, along with
>his wife, three sons, and three daughters); or of Nu-u among the Hawaiins; or
>of Tezpi among the Mexican Indians: or of Manabozho among the Algonquins? All
>of these agree that all mankind was destroyed by a great flood (usually
>represented as worldwide) as a result of divine displeasure at human sin, and
>that a single man with his family or a very few friends survived the
>catastrophe by means of ship or raft or large canoe of some sort."

Keep in mind that there's a difference between Chinese legend and Chinese
history. The post I saw referred to Chinese historical records. What you
quote from Archer refers to a legend. While the legend certainly may tell
a true story, it may well predate the events described in Chinese history.

Bill Hamilton | Vehicle Systems Research
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)