Re: Exploding Evidence of God's Hand?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Tue, 26 Sep 95 07:06:27 EDT

Jim

On Fri, 22 Sep 95 17:46:59 MDT you wrote:

JF>I don't know who Goodman is or what his qualifications are, but if
you
>don't accept Homo erectus as human (as I assume you don't, since you
>seem to be claiming that "biblical man" appeared only 30-40,000 years
>ago), the physical differences between them and us are minor. And the
>mental differences aren't that major, in so far as we we can detect
>them; Homo erectus used fire and made stone tools, both of which we
>think of as human activities, even if they didn't have the full range of
>modern human activities.

Mader says there were distinct mental differences between H. erectus
and H. sapiens:

"Homo erectus...was prevalent throughout Eurasia and Africa
during the Pleistocene Epoch, also called the Ice Age, because of the
recurrent cold weather that produced the glaciers of this epoch. Homo
erectus had an average brain size of 1,000 cc, but the shape of the
skull indicates that the areas of the brain necessary for memory,
intellect, and language were not well developed."
(Mader S., "Biology", 3rd Ed., Wm. C. Brown: Indiana, 1990, p435)

I'm sorry if you have already addressed this quote, which I had posted
previously. I am a bit behind in my in-tray! :-)

Regards.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |