Re: Exploding Evidence of God's Hand?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sun, 24 Sep 95 20:47:04 EDT

Jim

On Thu, 21 Sep 95 12:57:46 MDT you wrote:

[...]

JB>This struck me: isn't this phenomenon precisely like the Cambrian
>explosion vis-a-vis life forms? Think about it: a similar design
>feature of God--modest physical precursors, then a sudden "explosion"
>that is, in essence, a quantum leap forward that CANNOT be claimed to
>have evolutionary antecedents.

JF>No, it seems to me that it has a lot more in common with the
>Industrial Revolution, except that it probably took a lot longer
>(talking about 30,000 to 40,000 yrs here, not the Cambrian
>explosion). Since I doubt anyone claims that the industrial
>revolution is a result of supernatural intervention, why use it to
>explain an earlier cultural explosion?

I am one who would not rule out "supernatural intervention" as a
factor in the Industrial Revolution. The Chinese invented cast-iron
thousands of years before the English, but they never made it into
machines. On the basis of Amos 9:7 ("Are not you Israelites the same
to me as the Cushites ?" declares the LORD. "Did I not bring Israel
up from Egypt, the Philistines from Caphtor and the Arameans from
Kir?") I believe God intervenes directly in human history. I believe
God answered prayers and brought the Berlin Wall down.

[...]

JF>And exactly like the *undesigned* industrial revolution.

Who says the Industrial Revolution was "undesigned"? Even if you
ruled out the possibility of God designing it, the major steps in the
Industrial Revolution were the result of much human intelligent
design.

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |