Re: A guide to (non-social) dating.

Dave Probert (probert@cs.ucsb.edu)
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 10:51:14 -0700

I had written:

Glenn wrote:
> The question I had, and still do have, is HOW COULD WHITCOMB AND MORRIS
> BE SO WRONG?

It seems that even as I discovered that `science' had lied to me, Glenn
discovered that the YECs had lied to him.

Who should be held to a higher standard? Practicioner's of science
who revere truth or the Christians who revere the Truth?

The situation is really shamefull. We Christian's seem to have such
little love of the truth -- and we are so arrogant about our failing.

Whether it is creationism, or theologies oppressing women, or
rationalizations to judge homosexuals, or arguments about how you must
interpret the Bible to say wine -> grape juice, strong drink -> wine
... our love of being right far surpasses our love of the truth.

I concede Glenn's point about the YECs lying about the evidence.
Personally I don't know how old the earth is (though based on the
evidence of Genesis I think it is much older than 6000 years).

However I don't think the issue is so much that YECs will arm their
children with 'blank bullets', as they will teach fail to teach them
a love of the truth.

If I could do what is in my heart, I would foremost teach my children
about the character of God (including love of the truth), and then
about world views and how they are more critical than any specific
argument about science, religion, politics, sex, drugs, ... Then,
in this framework, I would impart to them what *I* happen to think.

My goal is to teach them *how* to think, not *what* to think.

... let God be found true, though every man {be found} a liar. [Rom 3:4]

--Dave