Re: Rapid genetic variation

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Sun, 20 Aug 1995 17:21:50 -0500

Walter writes:
>Abstract: This continues the (now getting tedious) debate with Glenn Morton
>over the rapid generation of genetic variation. Glenn is now wandering
>around, trying to find an argument that sticks. Population genetics is not
>his field, so his tenacity is to be admired. But his persistence in holding
>to a bad argument is not. Is Glenn really making an argument? Or is he on
>an exploratory mission? He (partially) makes one new argument (about
>racially distinctive sets of alleles) and it is refuted here. (Jump to that
>section by searching for "Racially distinctive".)

Perhaps Walter's persistence is also admirable given that he earlier used
inaccurate science regarding the definition of alleles and regarding genetic
variability in the immune system. It makes one wonder where else his
argument suffers from unrecognized erroneous claims. Given that his
critique of so-called "trade secrets" in science involves him pointing to
obvious errors of science that believes should be readily apparent to the
largely lay audience on this list server, it is a wonder that such blatant
errors are able to persist. Science has a noble history of intellectual
mavericks, including Peter Duesberg and others who do not believe that HIV
is the proximal cause of AIDS, Barbara McClintock who discovered jumping
genes, Howard Temin who discovered that RNA can be reverse transcribed into
DNA, Stanley Pons of cold-fusion fame, etc. These and others bucked
scientific opinion and efforts to enforce conformity in order to propound
what they (correctly or incorrectly) perceived to be true.

I'm not saying that these examples automatically disproves Walter's claim of
trade secrets, rather I suggest that his opinion be taken with a grain of
salt, especially since he has been wrong in areas of science in which I am
able to evaluate his claims. It would be useful to have someone able to
critique Walter's use of population genetics and other science participate
in the discussion. Will Provine, are you out there? If you are too busy,
could you suggest a post-doc or advanced student to join this discussion?

Steve
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin "To disdain philosophy is really to
Madison, WI 53792 be a philosopher." Blaise Pascal