Re: Glenn's book (reviewed by Bill Hamilton)

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 17 Aug 95 06:24:34 EDT

Wayne

On Tue, 15 Aug 1995 07:04:11 -0600 you wrote:

>To me the main problem with the local flood hypothesis
>is that it doesn't make sense for God to have someone
>build a boat for 120 years when it would be sufficient to
>walk for only a week to get away from where the flood
>would occur. There is, after all, the 40 day period
>of rain when the water is rising. Surely, one could
>still walk during the first part of this time.

This may only be an apparent difficulty. If God intended the Flood
to be a local event with cosmic significance (eg. Tower of Babel)
then it would make sense for God in His mercy to judge the
world in microcosm, ie. Noah's known world, ie. the people from
whom Abraham and ultimately the Messiah would come.

As to walking a week to get away from the Flood, Noah was
commanded by God to stay put and build the Ark, and the
others who perished didn't believe Noah's warning of the
Flood.

Besides it misses the point that if the Flood covered Noah's
known world, then to him and his contemporaries, there was
nowhere else to go.

Regards.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |