Re: Prayer

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Tue, 15 Aug 95 06:40:00 EDT

Gordon

On Thu, 10 Aug 1995 19:22:45 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

>Stephen Jones asks:
SJ>"Why do we pray? To request that God retrospectively re-arrange
the
>universe back at creation, so that what we have asked for now will
>happen inevitably? Or do we pray that God will intervene directly in
>the warp and woof of the here and now, to achieve something genuinely
>new?"

BS>None of the above! I pray because I believe a loving God answers
>prayer, and he tells us to. I leave the details of how he does this to
>him. The mechanism has nothing to do with the "why".

No one can disagree with this.

GS>Frankly, I believe he could use either of the methods you have
>described - and others we are not likely to come up with.

That is my point. If God can intervene and re-arrange history in
answer to prayer, then it is an open question that He could have
intervened in and re-arranged biological history. He is that sort
of God.

Thanks for your input. God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |