Re: Burdens of Proof

Steve Clark (ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu)
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:04:13 -0500

I wrote:
>>I think you have a misconception of evolutionary theory. The continuing
>>presence of Drosophila sp. on the Hawaiin Islands is not evidence that macro
>>evolution has not occured. There is no a priori necessity for a putative
>>transitional species to become fully extinct during its putative evolution
>>into a new species, genus, whatever. If Drosophila had mutated into a new
>>genus (and not just into a new species), how would you know it?

Art replied:
>Nah, I don't. No evolutionist has ever suggested any form on the Hawaiian
>Islands that is not a Drosophila was derived from a species that was. But
>you have correctly stated the case: How would you (or anybody else) know?
>Therefore any argument for evolution beyond what can be observed
>(proliferation of many species of a single genus) is specious. The evidence
>clearly favors limits.

The conclusion here (last sentence) is inconsistent with the previous
sentences.
Steven S. Clark, Ph.D. Phone: (608) 263-9137
Associate Professor FAX: (608) 263-4226
Dept. of Human Oncology and email: ssclark@facstaff.wisc.edu
UW Comprehensive Cancer Ctr
University of Wisconsin "To disdain philosophy is really to
Madison, WI 53792 be a philosopher." Blaise Pascal