Re: Burdens of Proof

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Mon, 07 Aug 1995 08:23:39 -0700

Will writes:

Thus on both morphological and genetic distance scales, Hawaiian
>Drosophila have undergone greater evolutionary changes than that observed
>between humans and chimpanzees. If all Hawaiian Drosophila are merely
>flies that have undergone no significant evolution, then there is no
significant
>evolutionary change between humans and chimpanzees. I suggest you look
>at Drosophila heteroneura as a start, and see if you still think no evolution
>has occurred in Hawaiian Drosophila.

You miss my point: The presence of 600 species of drosophila in the
Hawaiian Islands that are endemic is not evidence of *no* change. it is
evidence that there are limits to the amount of change a given species can
undergo. These limits are not slight as is obvious from a perusal of the
varieties present there. But they are not becoming other than Drosophila in
a time span that as you so aptly point out contemprorary human evolutionists
posit man and chimpanzee to have derived from a common ancestor. They are
still within the limits of change proscribed by the Drosophila genome.
Art