Re: limits of variation

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Fri, 04 Aug 95 06:39:12 EDT

Group

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 21:42:50 -0400 Glenn wrote:

>First off, I was not the one who said this was a bacteria. (at least I can't
>find where I said that) I believe that it was Stephen Jones who said it was
>a bacteria.

Perhaps I should decline the honour? The first reference I can find to

"bacteria" in this thread is from Glenn:

Date: Thu 27 Jul 1995 14:19 CT
The reference to the bacteria which became colonial is Boraas, M.E.
The
induction of algal clusters by flagellate predation EOS, Tran. Amer.
Geophy.
Union, 64:1102 It is now in the species Coelosphaerium which is in a
different family from the original Chlorella vulgaris. It began with
colonies
ranging from 4 to 32 cells in size but then settled down to an even 8.

>"Bioluminescence, Zooplankton Orientation and Growth," It is EOS vol 64 No.
>52, Dec. 27, 1983. p. 1102
>Martin E. Boraas (Center for Great Lakes Studies, University of Wisconsin at
>Milwaukee, P.). 413, Milwaukee, Wi 53201)
>
>An unidentified microflagellate specie (4-12 [mico]m) and Chlorella Prenodosa
>(2-5 [micro]m) were grown at 25 C in mixed-species chemostats with constant
>light and sterile, inorganic medium flow. The flagellate readily consumed
>the algae and grew rapidly (doubling time ca. 6 h). Size distributions of
>both species are shown in the Figure (area = biovolume). After an initial
>oscillation (curves 1,2), the system apparently stabilized with both species
>coexisting. The algal population now consisted of clusters of 4 to tens of
>cells that were immune to predation by the flagellate (curve 3). The mean
>cluster size then steadily decreased (curve 4) and stabilized at 4-8 cells
>(curve 5). These, and other, observations support the hypothesis: (1) a
>multicellular algal form was selected as a response to predation pressures,
>(2) a minimum cluster size was selected due to nutrient competition (large
>clusters have a smaller surface area per unite biomass) and (3) genetic,
>morphological, and structural diversity of the system increased as a response
>to predation. Flagellate predation influences both the genetics and the
>dynamics of microalgal population."

Am I missing something, or did the algae stay algae?

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |