Re: Rabbits' cuds

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:37:52 -0700

Jim writes:
>I was under the impression that ruminants were animals that have a rumen,
>i.e. those which have a specific set of stomachs (one of which is called
>the rumen) and that "cud" refers to the contents of that stomach which are
>regurgitated and re-chewed. Am I wrong?

According to Webster, they are animals that chew their cud. If you want to
define cud as material disgorged from a rumen, then we have a problem.
Since we are dealing with something God said to Moses, I think we can safely
conclude that whatever the Hebrew text says is probably a safe approximation
of what the rabbit was doing.
Art