Re: Going Down With the Whales

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sun, 09 Jul 95 17:00:06 EDT

Glenn

On Fri, 7 Jul 1995 23:23:23 -0400 you wrote:

GM>...I spend the time because I do not think Christian
>apologetical books are telling enough of the data. We tell them that there
>are NO transitional forms. Whether you want to accept these fossils as
>transitional or not is not the main thrust of my argument. Many people will
>be persuaded (indeed have been persuaded) that the writers of apologetical
>books are not telling them the whole story.

Actually, I don't think you are telling the whole story about these
mysterious
"apologetical books", Glenn! :-). Some of them that I have read don't
say
that "there are no transitional forms":

"Archaeopteryx is on the whole a point for the Darwinists, but how
important is it? Persons who come to the fossil evidence as convinced
Darwinists will see a stunning confirmation..." (Johnson P.E., "Darwin

on Trial", Second Edition, 1993, InterVarsity Press, Illinois, p81).

"We may concede Gould's narrow point, but his more general claim that
the
mammal-reptile transition is thereby established is another matter.
Creatures have existed with a skull bone structure intermediate
between
that of reptiles and mammals, and so the transition with respect to
this
feature is possible". (Johnson, p78).

But they do reserve the right to interpret them not according to
naturalist
preconceptions.

GM>As I have said before, if evolution is untrue, that is fine with
me,
>but you fail to give me a causal explanation of the data except for the
>caprice of God.

Why is it "caprice of God" for Him to intervene in biological history?

Was it "caprice" when He intervened at the call of Abraham? At the
Exodus? In the Incarnation and Resurrection? At Pentecost? Will it be
"caprice" when He intervenes in world history at the Second Coming
of Christ?

GM>I drilled a successful well for him last week...

Congratulations! Do you get 1% of the proceeds? :-)

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |