Re: God's place in nature

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Mon, 03 Jul 95 22:04:02 EDT

Glenn

On Sat, 1 Jul 1995 12:50:31 -0400 you wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>I am not clear if God has any more part to play in this "system"
>Glenn....how is your position any different from Deism, where God
>winds the universe up like a clock and then lets it run itself according
>to the rules built into the clockwork mechanism?
>
>and
SJ>Your answer mentions "regularly". Are you conceding that God did
get
>involved irregularly?<
>
>Stephen,
GM>I have always believed and advocated here that God does get
invovled.
>God was, I believe involved in the creation of the universe, at the creation of
>life (although I still think he might have planned for that at the beginning
>but presently I do think He was involved there), at the creation of man to
>take care of the mind/body problem you mention), He was involved in the
>miracles of the O.T. and N. T. and involved most assuredly at the
>resurrection. He has also been involved in my life.

OK. I presume by "involved" you mean directly and supernaturally? If
so,
then I believe your position is PC, not TE, or a hybrid TE/PC. The
only difference between your position and mine is that I would hold
God was
also directly involved in the production of higher taxa and new
designs
(which may be the same thing).

GM>Why is it that too often the assumption is that if you believe in
>evolution you can't believe in miracles?

I never said that. But on the other hand, you do seem to go out of
your
way to minimise God's direct involvement in the natural world?

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>Again my question is...if God followed this pattern of direct
intervention
>in human history, against a background of normal historical process, why
>could He not have intervened in biological history, against a background of >normal biological process?

GM>He could have. I just don't think the evidence supports such a
view.

What "evidence" is that exactly?

If this "evidence" is just naturalistic reconstructions of history,
could not
the same "evidence" also apply to: 1. the origin of life; 2. the
origin of
man; 3. the Exodus; 4. the resurrection of Jesus? If not, why not?

God bless.

Stephen
| Perth | / Oz \ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Australia | -> *_,--\_/ | phone +61 9 448 7439 |