Re: "God-sustained" vs. "unaided" nature

Asst Prof Clarence F Sills Jr (sills@norfolk.nadn.navy.mil)
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:12:05 -0400 (EDT)

Just a quick note on the "God-sustained" vs "unaided nature" discussion:
Stephen's argument has support which no one so far as I know has
mentioned--I refer to the discussion in David Ray Griffin's *The
Reenchantment of Science* which argues that the materialistic metaphysics
which in fact underlies most contemporary science presents insuperable
problems inaccounting for consciousness and self-consciousness.
Basically the argument is that the very categories by which consciousness
and self-consciousness are known and explicated are simply incompatible
with any conceivable monistic materialist metaphysics. The distinction
between "subjective" and "objective" is relevant here. Griffin points
out that subjective experience has an "inside" to it, thus categories
such as wish, intent, desire, hope, reflection, will are essential to the
characterisation of the "subject." But materialism is founded on
"objective" categories--categories such as based either on
direct sensory inspection (like color, size, apparent motion) or on
theoretical principles conceived as "explaining" the
directly observable like mass, acceleration, "force", etc. To attempt to reduce one to the
other is logically illicit, and has made unnecessary difficulties for for
science.
Consciousness is known directly "from within", while the material
universe is known by external inspection. Of course the body provides
some sort of "intersection" in the case of conscious animals. Specifying
(or denying altogether) the "some sort of intersection" has attracted a
good deal of thought.