Re: Home schoolers

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Tue, 20 Jun 95 15:47:40 EDT

Russ

On Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:26:30 -0600 you wrote:

>I spoke to a group of home school parents last night. I made the bold
>claim that many theistic evolutionists claim that evolution was directed by
>God, but the books they use proclaim a naturalistic evolution.
>
>Are there any biology textbooks which promote the gradual a emergence of
>life propelled by God?
>
>Are there any textbooks written which proclaim theistic evolution in any form?
>
>The question is why not? Certainly we have enough colleges which teach
>theistic evolution to support the sales of such books.

Good point! One may criticise creation-scientists, but at least they
have attempted to write books suitable for school students. I am
however aware of at least one TE text book: Wright R.T., "Biology
Through the Eyes of Faith", 1991, Apollos. I am not aware of any
progressive creationist textbook. Ramm B. "The Christian View of
Science and Scripture", 1955, Paternoster, London, is still IMHO
a classic, even though 40 years old.

On a broader level, does this suggest that theistic evolution
maintains there is no real observable difference between it and
naturalistic evolution? At the very least, should not a TE textbook
review various models of creationism and provide a critique of
Darwinism, pointing out its many difficulties and disagreements?

If Glenn's criticises creationists that in answer to a difficulty they
say "God did it", does this apply even more to TE? At least
creationists (including progressive creationists) endeavour to show
there should be some key differences in expected outcome between an
evolutionist and creationist model. Indeed, why should a naturalistic
and a God-directed process have exactly the same outcome?

In fact, has not the trend of evolutionary thought moved closer and
closer to the broad creationist model? Indeed, one may ask which form
of "evolution" TE's mean by "theistic evolution"? Are they theistic
neo-Darwinists or theistic punctuated equilibriaists? <g>

God bless.

Stephen